The annual Metuchen Junebug ArtFest opening will be held from 6-10 p.m. on June 4 with open air art exhibits, interactive events and live performances throughout the streets of downtown Metuchen.
Now in its ninth year, the Junebug has moved to Saturday evenings. Event dates for 2016 are June 4, 11, 18 and 25.
On June 18, Main Street will be closed during Junebug to create additional room for live performances and visitors to peruse the exhibits. Community members of all ages are invited to view creativity of all types at various locations — works of art in oil, acrylics, watercolors, photography, sculpture, glass, precious stones and textiles as well as rock and jazz music, dance performances and open mic sessions.
Sponsored by the Metuchen Area Chamber of Commerce and the Metuchen Cultural Arts Commission, the Junebug ArtFest reflects the borough’s commitment to nurturing all forms of creativity. The Junebug is just one of the ways Metuchen is working to maintain its status as the “Gateway to the Arts” in Middlesex County.
June 4 opening night interactive events include:
- At 7 p.m., witness the unveiling of the 8-foot-tall 2016 Junebug sculpture created by humorous illustrator and designer Chris Reed in front of Metuchen Savings Bank. A fun “bug portrait” opportunity will also be available.
- From 6-8 p.m. at Borough Hall, watch Hub City Fencing present a high-energy, interactive demo on the basic techniques and footwork of fencing or enjoy the Metuchen Branch YMCA’s “Creative Adventures” for the whole family.
- From 6-8 p.m. at 19 New St., enjoy a Lollipop Land Scavenger Hunt. Meet some of the Junebug artists, search for candy and stickers and explore the ArtFest.
- From 6-8 p.m. at the Senior Center, view the Community Nursery School’s “Doodlebugs at Junebug.” Four-year-old students display their interpretations of Pollack, Monet, Matisse, Seurat and O’Keefe.
- From 6-10 p.m., henna tattoo art will be applied outside the Buddha’s Loft storefront at 401 Main St.
- From 6-10 p.m., check out the “Chalk Walk” at Borough Hall.
June 4 live performances include:
- Framework Acoustic Jazz Ensemble will present Brazilian jazz from 6-7 p.m. at Hailey’s Harp & Pub.
- Princesa will perform rock music from 7:15-7:45 p.m. at the Main Stage.
- Past Tense will present classic rock from 8-8:45 p.m. at the Main Stage.
- The Daytrippers will offer a fusion of instrumental, jazz and rock from 9-9:45 p.m. at the Main Stage.
This year’s Junebug also features a Window Gallery Competition. Hosted by downtown Metuchen businesses, these window displays showcase the work of established artists throughout the month of June. Specific locations are noted in the program and on the digital ballot. Everyone is invited to get involved and vote for a favorite piece of artwork.
The “People’s Choice Award” ballot can be accessed from any digital, computer, tablet or mobile device via the QR code printed in the program and on the Junebug T-shirts. Voting begins on June 4 and closes at midnight on June 17. “Best in Show” will be awarded by two museum curators at 8 p.m., June 18, on the Main Stage.
For more information, visit www.junebugartfest.com or contact Tyreen Reuter at the Metuchen Area Chamber of Commerce at 732-548-2964 or email@example.com.