Home NS Sentinel N/S Sentinel News

North Brunswick posthumously honors veterans with street signs

NORTH BRUNSWICK – In a continuing effort to honor veterans, members of the North Brunswick administration read proclamations declaring streets in North Brunswick be named after local heroes as part of the honorary street sign dedication initiative.

The late Stanley Weiss was honored with the naming of Evergreen Court as Weiss Way and the late Russell Calabro was recognized with the naming of the intersection of Ridgewood Avenue and Newton Street as Calabro Way during ceremonies on May 8.

Weiss was born on May 7, 1907, in Barron, New York. He grew up in New Brunswick before moving to North Brunswick in 1950, according to his proclamation.

Weiss served in the U.S. Army during World War II in the India-Burma battle, one of the largest and most violent armed conflicts in the history. He was wounded with a non-life threatening injury while serving in the war.

He received an Asiatic-Pacific Service Medal and a Good Conduct Medal for his service in the Army.

He was honorably discharged in 1945, and then worked for Paulus Dairy and Cream-O-Land Dairy as a milkman.

Weiss became the first police officer in North Brunswick and the first name that appears on the memorial outside police headquarters, according to his proclamation. He retired in 1970 as a lieutenant.

Weiss was married to Beatrice Schibilia in January of 1948. They lived in North Brunswick on Hermann Road for more than 30 years and raised four children: Judith, Sandra, Sharon and Susan, who passed away in August. Stanley and Beatrice have 11 grandchildren and 20 great-grandchildren.

Weiss passed away on Jan. 31, 1980.

Calabro was born on Oct. 13, 1931, in Somerset, according to his proclamation. He moved with his family to North Brunswick in the 1950s to Cranbury Cross Road.

Calabro enlisted in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War as a mechanic. He trained in Texas before being transferred to Georgia and finished his tour in Alaska in 1954, according to his proclamation.

Calabro became a member of the North Brunswick First Aid and Rescue Squad in 1959. He was honored for 50 years of active service, having served as a captain and president.

In the late 1970s, he started his own business, Russ Calabro Carpenter. He retired in 1996.

Calabro was a communicate of St. Mary’s of Mount Virgin Church in New Brunswick where he served as an usher.

Calabro has one son, Russell Jr., who is married to Elva. He enjoyed spending time with his family and siblings Connie Adamo, Phil and Betty Calabro, and Nick and Linda Calabro as well as nieces, nephews, cousins and friends, until his passing in January 2014, according to his proclamation.

Throughout the year, the Township of North Brunswick honors township veterans with a secondary street sign affixed to an existing street sign. Pavers are also available at Veterans Park to recognize any veteran, living or deceased, with a brick inscribed with his/her name, rank and years of service.

For more information, contact Lou Ann Benson at lbenson@northbrunswicknj.gov.

Exit mobile version