HomeEdison SentinelEdison NewsEdison woman to serve eight years for fatal Highland Park crash

Edison woman to serve eight years for fatal Highland Park crash



An Edison woman pleaded guilty on April 24 to causing the death of a 21-year old Edison woman and injuring two others while driving while intoxicated two months ago.

Ashley Gergits, 20, pleaded guilty to one count of vehicular homicide in the second degree, two counts of assault by auto in the fourth degree, and driving while intoxicated which caused the fatal crash on Feb. 16, according to a statement provided by Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey.

Under a plea agreement reached with Middlesex County Assistant Prosecutor Keith Abrams, Gergits will be sentenced to a prison term of eight years for causing the crash that killed Jenna Adamousky and injured two other passengers. This term is subject to the No Early Release Act. As such, the defendant will have to serve 85 percent of her prison term before becoming eligible for parole, according to the statement.

In addition, Gergits is subject to a 15-year loss of her driver’s license.

She is scheduled to be sentenced in New Brunswick by Superior Court Judge Michael Toto on Sept. 4.

Gergits was charged following an investigation by Patrolman David Soden of the Highland Park Police Department and Detective Donald Heck of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.

The investigation determined that she was driving a 2015 Honda CRV on Route 27 near River Road with three passengers. She struck a bridge abutment, then bounced off and crashed into a Subaru Legacy, driven by a 31-year-old male from Central Valley, New York, which was stopped at a red light at the intersection of River Road.

The crash resulted in the death of the front seat passenger of Gergits’ vehicle, identified as Adamousky, 21, of Edison.

The two other passengers, 20- and 21-year old males, both of Highland Park, were taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick where they were treated for their injuries and released. The driver of the Subaru was also taken to the hospital following the crash.

- Advertisment -

Stay Connected


Current Issue