Professional and non-professional Middlesex County artists over age 60 were able to partake in the Senior Art Contest, sponsored by the Middlesex County Freeholder Board and the county Office of Aging and Disabled Services.
The works are currently on display at the Studio Art Gallery at Middlesex County College’s Performing Arts Center, 2600 Woodbridge Ave., Edison, through Aug. 16. The exhibit is open from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays.
This year’s winners will be honored at an awards ceremony and reception on Aug. 17.
The first-place winners will compete in the New Jersey Senior Citizens Art Show this fall.
Area professional winners are:
- Acrylic – second place – Laurie Schwartzer, Monroe, “Turbulence”
- Oil – first place – Shelley Phillips, Edison, “The Conversation”; second place – Irwin Montlack, Monroe, “For My Brother”
- Pastel – first place, Jeffery Cohen, Sewaren, “La Marketa”; second place, Leona Chung, Iselin, “Disaster”
- Photography – first place, Harvey Levine, Edison, “Toreador”; second place, Edward Hughes, North Brunswick, “Just After the Rain”
- Watercolor – first place, Thomas W. Martin, Edison, “Portrait”
Area non-professional winners:
- Acrylic – first place, Barbara Golden, Woodbridge, “Mama Bird”; second place, Miriam Wolin, East Brunswick, “Waiting for Plays in the Park”
- Craft – first place, Adrian Nicoara, Monmouth Junction, “Spring”
- Drawing – first place, Birute Donovan, Monroe, “Lily”; second place – Ann Russomano, Colonia, “Woman in Yellow Scarf”
- Mixed Media – first place, Evelyn Sutkowski, Monroe, “Three Trees in Winter”
- Oil – first place, Andrea Gall, Old Bridge, “Woman Hanging Laundry (Venice)”
- Pastel – first place, Audrey Roth, Monroe, “Royal Seating”; second place, Patricia Orzack, Colonia, “Dismal Swamp, Edison N.J.”
- Photography – first place, Lynn Padwee, Monroe, “Trees in Blizzard”
- Sculpture – second place, Billy Geller, North Brunswick, “Thumbs Up”
- Watercolor – first place, Ted Tharney, East Brunswick, “The Summer Cottage”; second place, Annette Newmark, Monroe, “Country Feelings”
- Professional Photography – Edward Kist, North Brunswick, “A View of the Past”
- Non-Professional Photography – Claude Heller, Monroe, “Learning to Somersault”
- Non-Professional Watercolor – Nancy Boehmer, Woodbridge, “Catch of the Day”