MARLBORO – The Marlboro Police Department is conducting an investigation focused on what officials described as disturbing messages on the cell phones of Marlboro High School students.
According to a press release, information offered by students was received by police on Oct. 18 regarding messages that had been received on cell phones. Police said the information was received in confidence and did not provide any details about the content of the messages.
Capt. Fred Reck said the matter remains under investigation. It is not known as this time if anyone will be charged by police in connection with the incident or whether the matter will be handled by school administrators.
Reck said he could not offer any additional information because the incident involves juveniles.
According to the press release, Mayor Jonathan Hornik adopted the “If You See Something, Say Something, We Will Do Something” campaign in February, which encourages individuals to report what they consider to be suspicious behavior to authorities.
The initiative has been focused on school districts in an effort to encourage students to report behavior in a timely manner so it can be properly vetted by the authorities, according to the press release.
“The timely reporting of any suspicious behavior is critical in helping to prevent any unspeakable acts of violence against any member of our community,” Hornik said. “We need our entire community engaged to prevent the horrifying events of Columbine High School in Colorado, Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut and Parkland, Fla.”