• The Jackson Library, 2 Jackson Drive, Jackson, will host “Gentle Yoga” at 6:30 p.m. Aug. 7. Experience gentle yoga in this free session. Comfortable clothing and a yoga mat are recommended. Light refreshments will be provided after class. Registration required; to register, call 732-928-4400.
• Brandeis University Harmony Chapter of Four Seasons Metedeconk Lakes, Jackson, will sponsor a Holiday Vendor Faire and Brunch from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Oct. 23 at the Radisson Hotel, Freehold Township. Vendors are needed, tables/space is $50. Brunch is $35 per person. All proceeds will be designated to the Brandeis National Committee’s “Sustaining the Mind Fund” to support faculty research into neurodegenerative diseases. Details: Marie Santoro, 732-276-5393, or Vickie Vitale, 732-299-9745.
• The Jackson Police Department will host its annual “National Night Out” event from 6-9 p.m. Aug. 6 at the Jackson Shopping Plaza (ShopRite), North County Line Road and Cook Road. The event is presented by Jackson PBA No. 168. There will be SWAT displays, a Fatal Vision goggles demonstration, firefighting equipment displays and more. All are invited to attend. Any organizations interested in participating may contact Lt. John Convery at 732-833-3015 for more information.
• The seventh annual Howell-Farmingdale 5K Run and Race Walk in memory of Walter Reitsma and all young people who lost their battle to addiction will be held at Howell High School at 6:15 p.m. Aug. 28. All ages welcome. The event will benefit CONTACT of Ocean and Monmouth Counties, a 24/7 crisis intervention and suicide prevention hotline. Special pricing for individuals age 19 and under. All registration fees discounted when registered by Aug. 26. Visit www.contactoceanmonmouth.org for a race application form with full details or register online at https://register.compuscore.com/contact5k
• WWE superstars Peyton Royce and Billie Kay, also known as The IIconics, will appear at iPlay America, Freehold Township, on Aug. 16. The IIconics are the WWE women’s tag team champions. The two Aussies will pose for professional photos and sign personal items for those in attendance. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the event will begin at 7 p.m. Details: https://www.iplayamerica.com/event/wwe-superstars-the-iiconics/
• Center Players Dessert Theater will hold auditions for a production of “Lend Me A Tenor” at Center Playhouse, 35 South St., Freehold. Audition dates are Aug. 5-6 from 6:30-9 p.m.
Performance dates are Oct. 11 through Nov. 11 (Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and
Sunday at 2 p.m.). Sides from the play will be provided; bring resume and headshot if available; non-union, no pay. A complete character list is available at www.centerplayers.org/auditions
• Golden Years Design Benefits will present Social Security and Medicare workshops to educate people who are becoming eligible for Social Security and Medicare. Topics include Social Security optimization, retirement planning, long-term care options and prescription drug costs. The following workshops are scheduled: Aug. 13, 6-8 p.m., Jackson Library, 2 Jackson Drive, Jackson, and Aug. 15, 6-8 p.m., Howell Library, 318 Old Tavern Road, Howell. Individuals nearing retirement are invited to attend. The workshops are open to residents of all communities. There is no charge to attend. Details: 732-526-7659 or email email@example.com
• Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church, 124 East Pleasant Grove Road, Jackson, will host a “Blessing of the Animals” on Aug. 25. All are invited to attend a service and to bring a friend. The service will start at 11:15 a.m. Details: Pastor Denise Tiedemann, 848-667-3631, or Doris Hatfield, 732-928-0063
• Join the Rutgers Master Gardeners at a free festival for children of all ages from noon to 4 p.m. Aug. 17 at the Monmouth County Agricultural Building, 4000 Kozloski Road, Freehold Township. There will be nature inspired activities, crafts and educational exhibits, live butterflies, ladybugs, rabbits, snakes, bees and more. Food, ice cream, fresh produce and other vendors will be on hand. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Details: 732-303-7614.
• Pinelanders Youth Soccer Club, Howell, is accepting registration for players age 2 to 18 for the Fall 2019 recreational soccer season. Games are played on Friday evening and Saturday morning. Visit www.pinelanders.com for information and to sign up.
• The New Jersey State Museum, 205 W. State St., Trenton, is presenting “Many Inspired Steps” to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing that took place on July 21, 1969. Currently on view through Nov. 10, the exhibition uses a variety of objects and images to examine the space race between the United States and the Soviet Union, the pioneers of space travel and other state connections to the landing and the space program. Admission is free; donations requested. Details: 609-292-5420 or visit statemuseumnj.gov
• “New Jersey Baseball: From the Cradle to the Major Leagues” is on exhibit at the Morven Museum and Garden, Princeton, until Oct. 27. The exhibition tells the story of New Jersey’s role in the history of early organized baseball through artifacts, text, images and other visuals. There are interactives that offer educational opportunities, as well as demonstrations with hands-on experiences. Details: morven.org
• Fishing 101 – A Beginner’s Guide to Fishing will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 7, 14, 21 and 28 at the Manasquan Reservoir, Howell (meet at the visitor center’s bait shop). Learn how to rig, bait, cast and, hopefully, catch a fish at the reservoir. Come and go at any time. Bait and tackle provided. Open to all ages; under 14 with adult. Fishing license required for ages 16-69. No groups. This is a free event. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Heart of New Jersey Chorus is looking for members in all voice parts. Open rehearsals are being held during the summer. The chorus rehearses Wednesday from 7:30-10 p.m. at the Millstone Township Primary School, 18 Schoolhouse Road, Millstone Township. Details: Visit honj.org or call 732-446-9782.
• DowntownFreehold.com has announced its 2019 Thursdays Rock concert lineup. The free concerts take place at the Monmouth County Hall of Records Plaza from 7:30-9:30 p.m. All ages welcome. The bands are: Aug. 1, Joe Keyes and the Late Bloomer Band; Aug. 8, Joe Baracata Band; Aug. 15, Stephen Martines; and Aug. 22, Full Throttle. Details: DowntownFreehold.com
• The Friends of the Howell Municipal Alliance meets on the first Monday of each quarter at 7 p.m. at the Echo Lake Pavilion, Howell. Attendees may share their ideas and perspective in an informal environment to enrich the community’s commitment to substance abuse prevention. No membership is necessary. Details: 732-938-4500, ext. 4012.
• The Jackson Library will host “Knit-Chat-Chain Volunteers” on Mondays. Guests are welcome to join fellow hook and needle enthusiasts and create items to donate to charitable organizations, and to work on their own projects. Knitters and crocheters of all skill levels are welcome. Yarn will be provided. Meeting times alternate between 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Call 732-928-4400, check the monthly brochure, or visit theoceancountylibrary.org/events for specific dates and times.
• The Jackson group of the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, Ocean County, will meet from 12:30-2 p.m. each Wednesday at the Brighter Days Community Wellness Center, 268 Bennett’s Mills Road, Jackson. DBSA is dedicated to helping those who suffer from depression, anxiety or bipolar disorder. Supportive family members or friends of people who suffer from mental health difficulties are also welcome to attend. No registration, dues or fees are necessary. Details: Maureen, 732-536-5826, or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Ocean County veterans meet monthly to discuss relevant subjects and to plan recreation opportunities. Topics include the transition to civilian life, the VA system, substance use, PTSD/other mental health issues and more. The group meets at 6:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month at Journey to Wellness Center, 25 S. Shore Drive, Toms River. Details: 732-244-0940 or email email@example.com
Items for the Datebook may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.