District 18 to receive $3.8M in DOT funding for road projects


EAST BRUNSWICK– Several municipalities in Middlesex County will receive part of $3.8 million in New Jersey Department of Transportation (DOT) municipal aid grants for roadway projects.

Senator Patrick Diegnan, Assemblywoman Nancy Pinkin and Assemblyman Robert Karabinchak announced $3,815,000 in Municipal Aid grants from DOT as part of their second round of funding on Nov. 27, according to a prepared statement from the New Jersey 18th Legislative District.

This $3.8 million aid package will support projects on local or county roads in all seven municipalities of the 18th District.

“These grants show the state’s commitment to support much-needed road improvements in our district,” Diegnan said in the statement.

The projects designated for municipal aid are the following:

  • East Brunswick’s Riva Ave Overlay
  • Edison’s New Dover Road Rehabilitation
  • Helmetta’s road improvements on Maple Street
  • Highland Park’s various roadway improvements
  • Metuchen’s various roadway improvements
  • South Plainfield’s repavement of Corporate Boulverd and Cragwood Road
  • South River’s roadway and drainage improvements

“Every town will see a road resurfacing or improvement because of two rounds of DOT’s Municipal Aid this year. However, we will work to expand the scope of projects that qualify for this state aid so more road rehabilitations can advance in the future” Karabinchak said in the statement.

“The DOT Municipal Aid will accelerate projects that improve areas our residents and drivers have identified as safety hazards. We will continue to invest in our infrastructure and ensure that our communities have safe roads to get to work, go to school and respond to emergencies,” Pinkin said in the statement.

There are seven project categories within the municipal aid program eligible for funding: roadway preservation, roadway safety, quality of life, mobility, bikeway, pedestrian safety, and bridge preservation. Past performance in connection with timely award of projects and construction close-out factor were part of the evaluation of the proposals.

When evaluating applications, DOT also verifies if the municipality has adopted Complete Streets policies. Complete Streets policies establish guidelines that require consideration be given to pedestrians and bicyclists when local transportation projects are being planned, designed, and built, according to the statement.

The DOT provides 75 percent of the grant amount when a town awards a contract and the remaining 25 percent upon completion of the project.