New Jersey scholastic girl’s basketball opened this past weekend when area teams showcased their skills on the court.
Here is a look at the Central Jersey Top 10 girls’ basketball rankings after the opening tap this past weekend.
(Ranking. Team, Record)
1. Rumson Fair-Haven, 1-0: Our No. 1 spot stays with the Lady Bulldogs of Rumson-Fair Haven, who looked very impressive in its season opening victory on Dec. 20 against Monmouth Regional. Senior Lucy Adams led the Bulldogs with a team-high 10 points and five rebounds in the 64-28 victory over Monmouth Regional.
2. Middletown South, 2-0: The Eagles have held their opponents to below 35 points in each of their two games to start the season. Senior Kayla Richardson has recorded a double-double in each victory for Middletown South. Richardson scored 12 points and racked up a game-high 16 rebounds in Middletown South’s 49-30 victory over Toms River South on Dec. 22 in the first round of the WOBM Holiday Classic Tournament.
3. Red Bank Catholic, 1-0: The Caseys recorded an impressive 63-31 victory over Shore Regional to begin the season on Dec. 20. Senior Fabienne Eggenschwiler and junior Antonia Panayides both scored a team-high 11 points in the victory for Red Bank Catholic.
4. Saint Thomas Aquinas, 1-0: Formerly know as Bishop George Ahr, Saint Thomas Aquinas picked up a dominating 66-16 victory over Colonia in its season opener on Dec. 21. Senior Emma Boslet recorded a double-double in the victory, scoring a game-high 21 points and pulling down 12 boards.
5. Colts Neck, 2-0: The Colts Neck defense has been nothing but stellar to begin the season. The Cougars have held their opponents to under 45 points in both games to begin the season, starting with a 69-20 victory over Ocean Township on Dec. 20 in their season opener. Camryn Foltz recorded a game-high 23 points to lead Colts Neck to a 59-44 victory over Neptune in the first round of the WOBM Holida Classic Tournament on Dec. 22.
6. Saint John Vianney, 1-0: The Lancers picked up a 77-27 victory over Middletown North in their season opener on Dec. 20. Sophomore Madison St. Rose put together a stellar performance on the court for Saint John Vianney, tallying a game-high 22 points and nine rebounds.
7. Marlboro, 2-0: Basketball season has started out well for both the Mustangs; boys’ and girls’ basketball teams. The Marlboro High School girls’ basketball team racked up its second straight victory to begin the winter by topping Central Regional 63-44 in the first round of the WOBM Holiday Classic Tournament on Dec. 22. Junior Jessica Riepe scored a team-high 12 points in the victory for Marlboro.
8. Notre Dame, 1-1: Senior Erika Porter recorded her 1,00th career point in the Irish’s 47-33 victory over Allentown to begin the season on Dec. 20. The Irish fell to Wildwood Catholic in their second game of the season on Dec. 21, losing 54-30.
9. East Brunswick, 1-0: The Bears recorded a nice 52-40 victory over South Plainfield in their season opener on Dec. 20. Senior Brianna Sliwinski tallied a season opener for East Brunswick, scoring a game-high 21 points with eight rebounds.
10. Holmdel, 0-1: Seniors Carson Fontana and Leah Nolan lead an experienced Holmdel squad that is looking to improve from its 12-win season last winter. Junior Olivia Palmer burst onto the scene for Holmdel last season as sophomore by showing off her skills from behind the arch, knocking in a team-high 51 three-pointers last season. The Hornets lost to last year’s NJSIAA Non-Public, South A champion, Saint Rose, 78-50, in their season opener on Dec. 20.
Follow Steven Bassin on Twitter @SBassin_Sports