HomeAtl HubAtl Hub NewsJewish Heritage Museum presents third annual Yiddish Film Festival

Jewish Heritage Museum presents third annual Yiddish Film Festival

The Jewish Heritage Museum of Monmouth County will present its third annual Yiddish Film Festival on Jan. 12 at 2 p.m. (inclement weather date: Jan. 19 at 2 p.m.) and Feb. 9 at 2 p.m. (inclement weather date: Feb. 12 at 2 p.m.). Admission is $10 for museum members (per film) and $12 for non-members (per film).

On Jan. 12, “Overture to Glory” (“Der Vilner Balebesl”) will be presented. This 1940 American film in black and white with English subtitles was directed by Max Noseck, according to a press release.

The cantor of the Vilna Synagogue, played by Cantor Moishe Oysher, leaves behind his prayers to perform in the Warsaw Opera. He struggles to balance the appeal of his newfound fame and notoriety with feelings of guilt and responsibility toward his family and community.

“Overture to Glory” begins during the morning service of Rosh Hashanah and ends at Kol Nidre, making the story a sort of redemptive journey during the days of awe, according to the press release.

On Feb. 9, the 1937 American film “Green Fields” (“Grine Filder”) will be presented. “Green Fields” is a 95-minute black and white film with new English subtitles.

Ulmer’s soulful, open-air adaptation of Peretz Hirshbein’s classic play heralded the Golden Age of Yiddish cinema, according to the press release.

When an ascetic young scholar ventures into the countryside, searching for the city of “true Jews,” he learns some unexpected lessons from the Jewish peasants who take him in as a tutor for their children.

The comedy features child actor Herschel Bernardi, later to be an adult star on Broadway, in films and on television, according to the press release.

For more information or to make a paid reservation (non-refundable), call 732-252-6990 or visit www.jhmomc.org. Maximum capacity is 100, so paid reservations are recommended.

The Jewish Heritage Museum is in the Mount’s Corner Shopping Center, 310 Mount’s Corner Drive, Freehold Township, at the corner of Route 537 and Wemrock Road. The museum is on the second floor of the historic Levi Solomon Barn.

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Stay Connected

76FansLike
71FollowersFollow

Current Issue