Donation collection continuing for Metuchen family who lost house, cat in fire

METUCHEN – Donations are being collected for longtime residents Bob and Kathy Miller who lost not only their home on Charles Street in Metuchen, but also their family cat, to a fire two weeks ago.

The fire, which occurred about 5 p.m. on Jan. 22, appears to have started on the porch because of a portable heater, according to Police Lt. Arthur Flaherty.

“Four people were home, all go out, the family cat did not make it,” he said.

Police, fire and emergency medical services [EMS] were on scene until about midnight, Flaherty said.

In all, 30 Metuchen firefighters were operating on scene with Metuchen Police, Office of Emergency Management, EMS and Department of Public Works, according to the Metuchen Fire Department on a social media post. Mutual aid companies from South Plainfield, Iselin No. 9 and Iselin No. 11 in Woodbridge, North Stelton and New Market in Piscataway, Highland Park and the Middlesex County Fire Marshals office also assisted.

Metuchen fire officials said upon arrival, the entire front of the house was on fire with penetration into the first and second floors and attic. Also, the electric service had burned off the house and was laying across the street and front yard.

A GoFundMe page and donation collection sites for the Miller family have been set up through neighbors and friends.

For more information, visit