Metuchen Fire Department responds to a fire at Charles Street home destroyed by fire in January

As workers were preparing for demolition of the Charles Street home destroyed by a fire in January, the Metuchen Fire Department responded to the same home for another fire on April 25. No injuries were reported.PHOTO COURTESY OF THE METUCHEN FIRE DEPARTMENT
×
As workers were preparing for demolition of the Charles Street home destroyed by a fire in January, the Metuchen Fire Department responded to the same home for another fire on April 25. No injuries were reported.PHOTO COURTESY OF THE METUCHEN FIRE DEPARTMENT

METUCHEN – As workers were preparing for demolition of the Charles Street home destroyed by a fire in January, the Metuchen Fire Department responded to the same home for another fire.

Members of the fire department responded to the scene at 3:15 p.m. on April 25. Upon arrival, there was heavy smoke pushing from the basement and [roof] eaves, according to the department’s social media post.

The home was unoccupied, but workers were in the basement preparing it for demolition when the fire started, fire officials said.

Members of the fire department used chainsaws to open walls from the outside to allow hose streams to extinguish flames traveling up from the basement. Plywood coverings on windows and doors from the last fire had to be removed to allow access and ventilation, fire officials said.

All first responders wore their face coverings and maintained their COVID-19 precautions during the fire, according to the statement. Once back at the station, all air paks, face pieces and other equipment was decontaminated in preparation for the next call, fire officials said.

Eighteen Metuchen firefighters were on scene, assisted by the Metuchen Police Department, South Plainfield Fire Department and JFK emergency medical services. Iselin 11 and North Stelton fire departments were on standby covering the borough.

No injuries were reported and all units cleared the scene at 4:32 p.m., fire officials said.

The first fire on Jan. 22 appeared to have started on the porch because of a portable heater. Four people were home at the time and were able to get out, the family cat did not make it, officials had said.