SAYREVILLE – Amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the Sayreville School District will see the total amount of state aid it was promised for the 2020-21 school year reduced by $2.3 million.
In February, district administrators were told by state officials the district would receive $31.4 million for the 2020-21 school year. Using that amount, administrators crafted a $108.4 million budget that was adopted by the Board of Education on May 5.
However, on May 29, state officials announced that as a result of the financial impact the 2020 coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic was having on New Jersey’s finances, state aid to schools for the upcoming academic year was being revised.
Sayrevillle now expects to receive $29.1 million in state aid for the 2020-21 school year. During the 2019-20 school year, the district received $28 million in state aid.
The school district’s state aid has increased each year since the enactment of state legislation known as S-2 in 2018.
“When we received the governor’s report on the financial condition of the state 2020-21 budget on May 22, we anticipated our $2.3 million dollar cut in state aid,” Superintendent of Schools Richard Labbe said. “While we were naturally disappointed when the NJDOE [New Jersey Department of Education] confirmed this cut with us last week, we clearly understand and respect the reasons for it.
“Nonetheless, we will be collaborating with our staff and Board of Education over the next several days to make the necessary revisions to our previously approved 2020-21 school district budget,” he continued. “Although these cuts will certainly impede our progress toward achieving goals targeted for the next school year, we remain determined to accomplish them with the funds we have.”