Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH), in partnership with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, has established The PROUD Gender Center of New Jersey, a comprehensive, full suite of services specifically designed to address the transgender community’s health care needs.
The PROUD Gender Center of New Jersey is the first of its kind in the state to offer a broad and comprehensive range of services and experts specializing in LGBTQ care in one central location.
RWJUH and Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School held a dedication and grand opening of the center on Aug. 13.
“This center represents what makes our academic medical center unique,” John J. Gantner, president and chief executive officer of RWJUH, said in a prepared statement. “Through our partnership with Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School we brought together a wide range of disciplines and subject experts into a comprehensive clinical program. This type of program is only available at a small number of elite institutions nationally.”
“This is an historic time for the advancement LGBTQ and transgender rights in our state and nation,” Jackie Baras, LGBT program director and LGBT health navigator for RWJUH, said in the statement. “In many ways this center is a reflection of these historic times and a culmination of a vision of all partners on our academic medical campus to address the unique health care needs of this community with a comprehensive, multidisciplinary approach in one central location.”
“We are excited to partner with Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital on this groundbreaking effort,” Dr. Gloria Bachmann, professor of OB-GYN, medical director of the PROUD Gender Center of New Jersey at RWJUH and director of the Women’s Health Institute at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, said in the statement. “Working together, we are committed to offering inclusive and innovative programs that address our diverse community’s health care needs.”
The center features a highly experienced, multidisciplinary team specializing in transgender health that offers a broad range of hormonal therapy and surgical procedures to support the transition of transgender patients.
- Comprehensive Primary Care
- Gender-Affirming Surgery (Trans-feminine Top Surgery and Trans-masculine Top Surgery)
- Facial Feminization and Masculinization Surgery
- Hormone Therapy/Endocrinology
- Otolaryngology/Vocal Training
- LGBTQ Health Navigator
- Community Outreach, Education and Training
- Support Group and Advocacy Resources
- Information and Referral to Behavioral and Mental Health Support Services
In addition to comprehensive medical services, the center offers robust support services and community resources that include:
- The PROUDLY ME! Transgender Eduport Program: A free education and support program designed to help transgender and non-binary community members by creating a safe space of learning through peer support and resources. The sessions are held the second Thursday of the month from 6-8 p.m. in the RWJUH Auditorium. For information, e-mail Jackie.email@example.com or Leigh.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The PROUD Community Advisory Panel: Through scheduled meetings, ongoing committee assignments and ad hoc working groups, PROUD Community Advisory Panel members are routinely asked to share their views and opinions to provide guidance on decisions impacting the broader LGBTQIA Community. For information, contact Jackie.email@example.com or Vanessa.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PROUD Business Resource Group: Promoting Respect, Outreach, Understanding and Dignity (PROUD) Business Resource Group is an employee-based group focused on fostering a safe, accepting, respectful, supportive and inclusive gender-loving workplace among the LGBTA community. For information, contact email@example.com.
For more information or to access PROUD Gender Center of New Jersey services, call 1-833-PROUD-NJ (77683-65) or visit www.rwjbh.org/rwjuhlgbtqia