• The 17th annual Freehold Township Day and Concert in the Park, which was scheduled to take place on Oct. 3 at Michael J. Tighe Park, has been cancelled due to state guidelines in place during the 2020 coronavirus pandemic. The event will return on July 10, 2021.
• Freehold Elks Lodge No. 1454, 73 E. Main St., Freehold Borough, will host an “All You Can Eat” beefsteak night from 5-9 p.m. Sept. 26. The $30 admission includes all you can eat London Broil, side dishes, DJ music and a $20 chance to win a new 2020 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic. The drawing will take place Oct. 10 (winner need not be present). All are welcome to join the Elks on the porch for a fun evening.
• Freehold Elks Motorcycle Committee will hold its annual motorcycle raffle drawing party from 1-6 p.m. Oct. 10 at the lodge, 73 E. Main St., Freehold Borough. There will be prizes, food, drink and live music. The raffle drawing is set for 4:30 p.m. Music by classic rock band The Hecktones. Admission is $20. Raffle tickets will be available the day of the drawing. All are welcome to attend.
• The Manalapan-Englishtown Regional School District Board of Education will hold regular action meetings at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 6 and 7:30 p.m. Oct. 27. Anyone wishing to participate in the meeting may do so by using the link at https://www.mersnj.us/virtualmeeting
• In collaboration with Middlesex and Ocean counties, the Monmouth County Board of Freeholders and the Workforce Development Board have announced the first Central Jersey “Drive Thru Job Fair” from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 15 at Brookdale Community College, Lincroft. The board is seeking employers for the event. There is no cost to participate for employers or job-seekers. Participating employers will not attend in person. Employers must submit 750 copies of a one-page flier listing job opportunities to Monmouth County Workforce Development, 17 Christopher Way, Eatontown, by 3:30 p.m. Oct. 5. Employers may register at http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=gy5ejadab&oeidk=a07ehabsey4a5221e5e. Details: Christine Dykeman, 732-683-8850, ext. 2525.
• The Monmouth County Park System is hosting a Women’s Spa Retreat Day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 26 at the Freneau Woods Park Visitor Center, Aberdeen Township. Take the day to rejuvenate with a walk in the woods, guided meditation, a discussion about makeup tips and an aromatherapy bracelet workshop. Participants will enjoy morning tea with a light breakfast and make mason jar salads for lunch. The cost is $110 per person and pre-registration is required. To register, visit www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or call 732-842-4000, ext. 1.
• CentraState Associated Auxiliaries presents a farmers market at the Covered Bridge 1 adult community in Manalapan (near the clubhouse) every Tuesday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Proceeds are donated to CentraState Medical Center for personal protective equipment. Details: Geri, 732-221-7125
• The Monmouth County Library, in partnership with Literacy New Jersey, is offering free
English as a Second Language virtual classes and one-on-one tutoring through Literacy New Jersey Monmouth. The program is open to all persons 18 years of age and older. Details: Email Jhanna Even at jeven@literacynj/.org or call her at 732-702-1895.
• A virtual art show aimed specifically for the interest of teenagers (12 to 18) invites Monmouth County Library members to create their own artwork in any medium, art, poetry, video, music or sculpture, to be showcased on the library’s digital display. Designs should be submitted as a jpeg file and forwarded to MonCoLibrary2020@gmail.com with the subject line Teen Art Show. Deadline is Oct. 15. All entries become the property of the library for reproduction and distribution, and sharing on the library’s website and social media. Details: email@example.com
• The Monmouth County Library is offering a weekly virtual bereavement meeting for all
those who have lost a loved one and are navigating the maze of emotions and trying to make decisions in a new way. The virtual meetings are led by Beth Stamp, a support facilitator, and provide an opportunity for people to share experiences, feelings and ideas.
Sessions are conducted on Webex and registration is possible on Eventkeeper in order to receive information on how to access the meetings, held Wednesdays at 6:45 p.m.
Details: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
• The fall issue of the Monmouth County Park System’s Parks & Programs Guide contains a complete listing of upcoming arts and crafts, nature, recreation and sports programs planned for September, October and November. The fall issue is available at most county parks and online at www.MonmouthCountyParks.com. Registration is underway and is available online 24/7; by phone (732-842-4000, ext. 1) or by mail using the registration form found at the back of the guide.
• Participating in yoga benefits physical and mental health and influences positive thought. It alleviates mental stress, develops better physicality and enhances emotional well-being. Yoga postures are a form of meditation in motion that help release tension and emotional stress. Honor Yoga is offering free classes at 8 a.m. Tuesdays and 6 p.m. Thursdays with instructor Michelle Gerdes. To register, visit http://honoryoga.com/yfew
• Monmouth County has scheduled paper shredding events to give county residents opportunities to dispose of old files and confidential documents safely. All shredding events will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following locations: Nov. 28, Colts Neck Town Hall parking lot, 124 Cedar Drive. County residents may bring up to 100 pounds of documents to be shredded. The service is free. Details: www.visitmonmouth.com or 732-683-8686, ext. 8967.
• New Jersey Blood Services, which provides blood for local patients, is looking for volunteers whose tasks will include assisting donors with registration and/or at the refreshment area. No medical background necessary. Must have transportation. All training is provided. Details: Call or text Sharon Zetts at 732-850-8906, Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• CentraState Medical Center’s 44th annual Band Aid Open, “Golf Fore Kids,” will be held at the Metedeconk National Golf Club, Jackson, on Oct. 13. The event will benefit enhanced pediatric services at the hospital. Tee times will be assisgned based on morning/afternoon preference on a first-come, first-served basis. Details: 732-294-7030 or email email@example.com
• Residents struggling with substance use issues may call 1-844-ReachNJ to speak with counselors ready to offer assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week. ReachNJ is a free, confidential hotline that provides individuals with concerns about their own or a family member’s substance use immediate help and treatment referrals. The help line is always answered by a live specialist.
• CentraState Medical Center, Freehold Township, offers a Movement Disorder Program that provides specialized treatment to patients with Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, tics, tremors, ataxia, dystonia and other similar syndromes. The program is held in the Star and Barry Tobias Ambulatory Campus. To request a consultation to help manage Parkinson’s disease or other movement disorders, call 732-637-6316 or email Parkinsons@centrastate.com
• Samaritan Center, a joint ministry of St. Thomas More and Old Tennent Presbyterian churches, operates a food pantry to provide supplementary food for those in need in Manalapan, Marlboro, Englishtown and Millstone Township. For information, call 732-446-1142 and make an appointment. Volunteers will gladly carry food to a client’s vehicle. Donations of funds and food are gratefully accepted to support the operation of the center. Volunteers are always welcome.
• Monmouth County will hold backyard composting workshops for county residents. The free 45-minute workshop will teach residents how to reduce household waste, improve the soil for plants and reduce landfill waste. The workshops to be held at the Agriculture Building, 4000 Kozloski Road, Freehold Township, on Oct. 17 at 9 a.m. and Nov. 14 at 9 a.m. Participants may purchase the Earth Machine backyard composting bin at the session for $35. Advance registration is required. Call 732-683-8686, ext. 8967.
Items for the Datebook may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.