MONROE – Monroe Township police responded to a residence on St. James Street for a working structure fire called in by the resident that was caused by an electric vehicle.
The Monroe Township Fire Department, along with the Spotswood Fire Department, arrived on scene and extinguished the fire around 3:12 a.m. Oct. 21.
Monroe Township First Aid also arrived on scene to provide assistance.
The Detective Bureau and the fire inspector arrived on scene in order to conduct their investigation. An examination of the garage and first floor determined the following: The point of origin of the fire was the electric car which was plugged into its charging port inside the garage. Once the car became engulfed in flames, the fire quickly spread to another vehicle before spreading to the bedroom above the garage. The fire also spread to a laundry room, back bedroom, kitchen and living room that branched off of the side of the garage, causing significant damage to the structure, according to information provided by the Monroe Township Police Department.
The remainder of the home suffered severe smoke damage.
The fire was ruled accidental/electrical by fire officials on scene.
All residents were able to exit the residence safely at commencement of the fire.
One firefighter suffered an ankle injury during the course of his duties; he was treated on scene and released, according to the statement.