As coronavirus cases rise, Metuchen Borough Hall operations temporarily move back to a virtual operations schedule

×

METUCHEN – As a result of an uptick in coronavirus cases, Borough Hall operations will temporarily move back to a virtual operations schedule.

Mayor Jonathan Busch announced the changes on social media. The following is a summary of these temporary changes: all business may be conducted by phone and email; all permitting and licensing appointments must be scheduled in advance; for the safety of borough Department of Public Works workers, bulk and metal pick-up scheduling will be suspended as of Dec. 1; all pick-ups that have been previously scheduled will occur; and Borough Council meetings will be held virtually.

The borough has a 24-hour drop box for all borough business – including payments and other correspondence – located at the rear entrance to Borough Hall. Business hours remain 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays.

Borough Hall operations had reopened in mid-June after closing in March. As of Nov. 30, Metuchen has a total of 279 cases. The borough has lost three residents to COVID-19, according to Middlesex County.

“We have reached a very serious point,” Busch said in a social media post on Nov. 29. “I was just informed that Metuchen has nine new cases today, totaling 30 for the week, which accounts for nearly 11% of the borough’s total. These numbers represent our highest daily total and highest weekly total since Metuchen had its first case in March.”

The age range of the nine cases were from 9-95. Busch urged residents to “double down on your efforts.”

“Wear a mask, keep your distance, avoid gathering in large groups, especially indoors and stay home when you can,” he said adding COVID-19 impacts everyone.

For more borough information visit www.metuchennj.org.

For Middlesex County information visit discovermiddlesex.com/covid19/ or www.middlesexcountynj.gov/covid19.