The Arts Institute of Middlesex County is presenting, promoting and supporting a multitude of arts and culture events, exhibitions and shows throughout the month of March.
The month is packed with exciting programming primarily centered around Women’s History Month.
While the pandemic has affected in-person events, artists all over the county and the Middlesex County Arts Institute have come together to find creative ways of connecting residents through public art, virtual experiences, and safe performances.
The Arts Institute has helped partners navigate this new environment with engaging and thought-provoking experiences.
These events can be accessed virtually and are free to enjoy for all county residents and beyond.
March’s event highlights include:
- March 3 at 4 p.m. – Join the Civic League of Greater New Brunswick in a reading of “Josephine: The Dazzling Life of Josephine Baker,” written by Patricia Hruby Powell and illustrated by Christian Robinson.
- March 10 at 4 p.m. – Get to know Georgia O’Keeffe through a reading of “My Name is Georgia: A Portrait,” written and illustrated by Jeanette Winter, with the Civic League of Greater New Brunswick. After the reading, join a hunt for interesting objects and try drawing from life just like Georgia
- March 17 at 4 p.m. – Soar over the city with the main character Cassie in “Tar Beach,” a tale that weaves fantasy with African American and women’s history. After the reading we will create our own fantastical images inspired by our own dreams using whatever materials we have on-hand.
- March 24 at 4 p.m. – Let Copeland’s life story, told through lyrical words and images, inspire you to become a firebird. After the reading, let your creativity and spirt fly through a ballet-inspired movement activity.
- March 31 at 4 p.m. – Explore the birth of our universe and how we all came to be through the swirling art of Ekua Holmes in “The Stuff of Stars,” then experiment with some unconventional materials to create your own “out of this world” marbled paper.
Visit www.middlesexcountynj.gov/Artsculture for full details on all events.
Registration details and links to live stream events are available.
To honor Women’s History Month, the Arts Institute will present a series of videos and content on www.middlesexcountynj.gov/WomensHistoryMonth.