• The Heart of New Jersey Chorus (a chapter of Sweet Adelines International) is holding a virtual membership night on April 28 at 7:30 p.m. The chorus sings four-part a cappella harmony. Individuals who like to sing, love to learn, have fun and make new friends are invited to visit the chorus’ rehearsal. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 732-446-9782 to receive a link to join the event.
• The Central New Jersey Women in Development (WID) hosts a monthly roundtable for nonprofit professionals online. At noon on April 15 the topic will be “Nonprofit Tech Hacks to Increase Fundraising.” A panel discussion will take place on Zoom. Cost is free to WID members and $15 for non-members. The discussion will include favorite go-to event apps; photo apps; and general tips, tricks and tech hacks for nonprofit professionals. Registration link: https://widmercer.org/events/
• The Art Society of Monmouth County will host the Ruth Crown Memorial Art Exhibit sponsored by the Crown family in memory of their mother, water colorist Ruth Crown, a founding member of the Monmouth Arts Gallery, the endowment from which funded the formation of the Art Society of Monmouth County. The exhibit will display a wide range of members’ artwork at https://www.artsocietyofmonmouthcounty.org/ beginning April 10. An awards reception will be held April 24 at 1:30 p.m. via Zoom. To “attend” the Zoom presentation, emails with the Zoom link will be sent to those who have subscribed to the society’s e-newsletter from its website.
• New Jersey Blood Services has scheduled blood drives at the Freehold Raceway Mall, Freehold Township (store between Cheesecake Factory and Chico’s). All blood types are needed. Dates are April 13, April 19 and April 29. Appointments strongly suggested. For an appointment, visit https://nybc.org/newjerseydrive (sponsor code 65805) or call 800-933-2566. Bring ID with name and photo. Individuals who have received the COVID vaccine have no waiting period before donating blood as long as they are feeling well.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present a Draft Animal (plowing) demonstration on April 10-11 from noon to 2 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. See the horses in action and learn how the plow functions. Visitors can also experience turning a farrow with the guidance of farmers. Free. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present a Drop-In Zip-Line event on April 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Big Brook Park, Marlboro. Experience the thrill of zip-lining. All equipment is provided. Participants must wear closed-toe, closed-heel shoes, and a face covering. Open to ages 8 and up; under 18 with adult. Limited number of equipment; first-come basis. Registration ends at 1 p.m. The cost is $15 per person; cash or check only. Fee includes two rides down the zip-line. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host Splendid Spring Strolls on April 26 from 10-11:30 a.m. at Freneau Woods Park, Aberdeen Township (meet in the Visitor Center parking lot). Join a park system naturalist on a peaceful trail walk. Sturdy footwear is recommended as trails used may have inclines or tree roots to step over. Free. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host the Casual Birder on April 13 at 9 a.m. at
Freneau Woods Park, Aberdeen Township (meet in the Visitor Center parking lot). Join a park system naturalist for a laid-back morning bird walk. Free. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Accordion Melodies of the 1890s on April 17 from 1-3 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. Hear melodies of the 1890s played on the accordion. Free. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• Congregation B’nai Israel, Rumson, will host a Zoom lecture about the origins of Esperanto titled “Esperanto: L.L. Zamenhof’s Hopeful Language for Russia’s Jews and the World” at 7:30 p.m. April 12. The speaker will be Brigid O’Keeffe, associate professor of history at Brooklyn College. The event is free and open to the public. Advanced registration is required to get the Zoom link. Register at the Event page at cbirumson.org
• New Jersey Blood Services is conducting blood drives which are open to the public. The following drives are scheduled: April 13, Freehold Raceway Mall, Freehold Township, 1-7 p.m. To donate blood, call 1-800-933-2566 or visit www.nybloodcenter.org
• Join New Jersey Health Care Networking Group for an April 14 Zoom meeting from 9:30-10:30 a.m. The networking group is a free organization for anyone in the health care industry, including those who provide ancillary products and services. Bancroft NeuroRehab is in the V.I.P. member spotlight and is hosting the meeting. To register, email Lisa@PreferredCares.com and you will receive the Zoom code to join the April 14 meeting. Meetings take place once a month.
• The Guild of Creative Art and the James T. Gary Foundation will award a $1,000 scholarship to a graduating Monmouth County high school senior who plans to major in the visual arts in an accredited college or art school in Fall 2021. Full-time attendance is required. Media may be painting, sculpture or photography. The application deadline is April 15. For the application and fact sheet, call 732-741-1441.
• Samaritan Center, a joint ministry of St. Thomas More and Old Tennent Presbyterian churches, operates a food pantry to provide supplementary food for those in need in Manalapan, Marlboro, Englishtown and Millstone Township. For information, call 732-446-1142 and make an appointment. Donations of funds and food are gratefully accepted to support the operation of the center. Volunteers are always welcome.
• New Jersey Blood Services, which provides blood for local patients, is looking for a few good volunteers. Blood drive volunteers assist donors with registration and/or at the refreshment area. No medical background necessary. Volunteers should be outgoing to provide friendly customer service and be able to perform tasks as needed. Must have transportation. All training is provided. For additional information, call or text Sharon Zetts at 732-850-8906, Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. To apply online as a blood drive volunteer, visit https://www.nybc.org/support-us/volunteer-nybc/volunteer-application/
• Dove Hospice Services of New Jersey is seeking volunteers to provide support to hospice patients and their families throughout Monmouth County. Volunteers visit with patients in their home, which can also be nursing facilities and/or assisted living facilities, at least once a week. Visits can also be virtual and are during the day or early evening. Details: Deborah Adams, 732-405-3035, or email email@example.com
• Embroiderers’ Guild of America – Monmouth Chapter is dedicated to teaching and sharing the joys of needlework. The organization welcomes stitchers of all levels. Evening stitchers will meet via Zoom on the first Monday of each month at 7 p.m. Day stitchers will meet via Zoom on the third Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. Details: Toni, 732-462-5540, or visit website:www.mcega.org
Items for the Datebook may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.