• Congregation B’nai Israel, Rumson, will host a lecture with author Amy Bloom, who will discuss her novel “Away” via Zoom from 11 a.m. to noon June 27. The lecture is free to attend, but donations are appreciated to support the synagogue’s programming. Registration is required to attend and to get the Zoom link. Register at cbirumson.org
• The Jewish Heritage Museum of Monmouth County presents “Eric Mendelsohn: Synagogue Architect with a Vision” on June 6 at 2 p.m. Admission is free (donations are welcome). To make a reservation and receive the Zoom link, call 732-252-6990, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.jhmomc.org
• Calvary Baptist Church, 491 Lloyd Road, Aberdeen Township, is providing a cooked meal from 5:30-7 p.m. every Thursday through the end of July. The church has partnered with Soup Kitchen 411 to assist individuals in the community who are in need. Details: www.atcalvary.org or 732-583-9759.
• The American Red Cross will host the following blood drives: June 1, 2-7 p.m., American Red Cross Central New Jersey, 1540 W. Park Ave., Tinton Falls. All blood types are needed. In most cases, individuals who have received a COVID-19 vaccine can donate. However, knowing the name of the manufacturer of the vaccine the individual received is important in determining donation eligibility. Appointments may be made by visiting RedCrossBlood.org calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
• New Jersey Blood Services is conducting blood drives which are open to the public. The following drives are scheduled in the near future: May 29, AOH/Knights of Columbus Middletown, 12 Route 36, Middletown 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. To donate blood or for information on how to organize a blood drive, call 1-800-933-2566 or visit www.nybloodcenter.org
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Historic Battery Lewis tours on May 29 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on May 30 from 1-3 p.m. at Hartshorne Woods Park, Highlands (Rocky Point section). Tour the restored Historic Battery Lewis and learn about the history of this important former coastal defense site. Face mask required. This is a free event. Details: 732-842-4000 or www.MonmouthCountyParks.com
• New Jersey Blood Services, which provides blood for local patients, is looking for a few good volunteers. Blood drive volunteers assist donors with registration and/or at the refreshment area. No medical background necessary. Volunteers should be outgoing to provide friendly customer service and be able to perform tasks as needed. Must have transportation. All training is provided. For additional information, call or text Sharon Zetts at 732-850-8906, Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. To apply online as a blood drive volunteer, visit https://www.nybc.org/support-us/volunteer-nybc/volunteer-application/
• Embroiderers’ Guild of America – Monmouth Chapter is dedicated to teaching and sharing the joys of needlework. The organization welcomes stitchers of all levels. Evening stitchers will meet via Zoom on the first Monday of each month at 7 p.m. Day stitchers will meet via Zoom on the third Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. Details: Toni, 732-462-5540, or visit website:www.mcega.org
Items for the Datebook may be sent to email@example.com. Please send items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.