• The Monmouth County Park System will present a mill demonstration on Aug. 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28 and 29 from 1-4 p.m. at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township. See the 19th century gristmill in action. The is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Enviro-Quest, Aug. 12 at 11 a.m., Crosswicks Creek Park, meet in the Province Line Road parking lot in Upper Freehold Township; Aug. 19 at 11 a.m., Clayton Park, Upper Freehold Township, meet in the Emley’s Hill Road parking lot; Aug. 26 at 11 a.m., Perrineville Lake Park, Millstone Township, meet in the Agress Road parking lot. Follow the Enviro-Quest signs to where the park system naturalist is waiting. Then join in on a mini-nature lesson, activity, or walk for 30 to 60 minutes of nature-based fun. Open to all ages; under 18 with adult. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present a smocking demonstration, Aug. 7 from 1-3 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. View the lost art of smocking, a decorative embroidery or shirring made by gathering cloth in regularly spaced round tucks. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Edible History Series: Ice Cream, Aug. 7 from 2-3 p.m. at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township. Using recipes from the 19th century, help crank ice cream in the shade of the ice house, and then consume the results of your labor. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• Allentown High School classes of 1980 and 1981 will hold a combined 40th reunion on Oct. 23 from 5-11 p.m. at the New Egypt Elks Club. Organizers of the reunion are looking to connect with fellow classmates who would be interested in attending. Details: Todd Schmitt at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Dove Hospice Services of New Jersey is seeking compassionate volunteers to provide
support to local hospice patients and their families. Hospice patient care volunteers visit with patients in their home, which can also be nursing facilities or assisted living facilities, at least once a week. Visits can be virtual and are during the day or early evening. Volunteers may also assist with administrative work in the hospice office. To sign up for a virtual training class, contact Deborah Adams at 732-405-3035 or email Deborah@dovehs.com
• The Allentown Village Initiative (TAVI) invites area residents to join a special effort to patronize local businesses. Register at www.allentownvinj.org to receive a weekly email highlighting Allentown’s shops and restaurants. The email will showcase unique products, services and specials offered by entrepreneurs throughout Allentown and Upper Freehold Township. There is no charge to participate. To register and for more information, visit www.allentownvinj.org
• CentraState Medical Center has launched a new online grief support group led by licensed clinical social workers certified in grief counseling to assist individuals who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The group is open for adult members of the community who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The private groups provide a safe, non-judgmental space for participants to share their emotions and struggles. The group meets via Zoom on the first and third Thursdays of each month at 3 p.m. To register, call 732-303-5170 or email Ametzger@Centrastate.com or Ssouza@Centrastate.com
• Samaritan Center, a joint ministry of St. Thomas More and Old Tennent Presbyterian churches, operates a food pantry to provide supplementary food for those in need in Manalapan, Marlboro, Englishtown and Millstone Township. For information, call 732-446-1142 and make an appointment. Donations of funds and food are gratefully accepted to support the operation of the center. Volunteers are always welcome.
• Embroiderers’ Guild of America – Monmouth Chapter is dedicated to teaching and sharing the joys of needlework. The organization welcomes stitchers of all levels. Evening stitchers will meet via Zoom on the first Monday of each month at 7 p.m. Day stitchers will meet via Zoom on the third Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. Details: Toni, 732-462-5540, or visit website:www.mcega.org
Items for the Datebook may be sent to email@example.com. Please submit items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.