• The 2021 Discussion Series will continue with “Self-Care – Filling Up Your Cup – Building Your Emotional Toolbox,” presented by Diane Lang, therapist, educator and life coach. The series is sponsored by Kathy Lo Bue, managing director, Glen Eagle Advisors, LLC. The discussion will take place as a Zoom webinar at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 28. The series is free, non-sectarian and open to the community. Call 732-866-6660 for the registration link.
• New Jersey Blood Services will conduct blood drives on the following dates: Aug. 19, Howell Donor Center, 4068 Route 9 South, Howell, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Aug. 24, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Aug. 25, Howell Donor Center, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.; Aug. 26, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Aug. 31, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m. To donate blood or for information on how to organize a blood drive, call toll free, 1-800-933-2566 or visit www.nybloodcenter.org
• The Monmouth County Park System will present boat tours of the Manasquan Reservoir, Howell. Each 45-minute tour is narrated by a park system naturalist and includes opportunities to view local wildlife. The cost is $6 per adult and $4 per child, age 12 and under. Call to confirm schedule as tours are weather dependent and water level dependent. All boat tours leave from the Visitor Center. Life jackets are supplied. Tickets can be purchased on day of tour only. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Historic Battery Lewis tours, Aug. 21 and 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Aug. 22 and 29 from 1-3 p.m. at Hartshorne Woods Park, Highlands (Rocky Point section). Tour the restored Historic Battery Lewis and learn about the history of this important former coastal defense site. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Seining Along Sandy Hook Bay, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, Aug. 2-27 from 11 a.m. to noon at Bayshore Waterfront Park, Middletown. This is a hands-on nature program. Closed-toe shoes are required. Meet on the beach near the parking lot. Parents or guardians are required to stay with and supervise their children. No swimming during the event. This program is designed for individuals and families. Weather permitting. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Fishing 101 – A Beginner’s Guide to Fishing, Aug. 24 and 31 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Manasquan Reservoir, Howell, meet at the Visitor Center Bait Shop. Learn how to rig, bait, cast, and, hopefully, catch a fish. Come and go at any time. Bait and tackle provided. Open to all ages; under 14 with adult. Fishing license required for ages 16 to 69. No groups please. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present a quilting demonstration, Aug. 21 from 1-3 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. View a hand quilting demonstration. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Accordion Melodies of the 1890s, Aug. 21 from 1-3 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. Hear melodies of the 1890s played on the accordion during your visit. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• Dove Hospice Services of New Jersey is seeking compassionate volunteers to provide
support to local hospice patients and their families. Hospice patient care volunteers visit with patients in their home, which can also be nursing facilities or assisted living facilities, at least once a week. Visits can be virtual and are during the day or early evening. Volunteers may also assist with administrative work in the hospice office. To sign up for a virtual training class, contact Deborah Adams at 732-405-3035 or email Deborah@dovehs.com
• CentraState Medical Center has launched a new online grief support group led by licensed clinical social workers certified in grief counseling to assist individuals who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The group is open for adult members of the community who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The private groups provide a safe, non-judgmental space for participants to share their emotions and struggles. The group meets via Zoom on the first and third Thursdays of each month at 3 p.m. To register, call 732-303-5170 or email Ametzger@Centrastate.com or Ssouza@Centrastate.com
• New Jersey Blood Services, which provides blood for local patients, is looking for volunteers. Blood drive volunteers assist donors with registration and/or at the refreshment area. No medical background necessary. Volunteers should be outgoing to provide friendly customer service and be able to perform tasks as needed. Must have transportation. All training is provided. For additional information, call or text Sharon Zetts at 732-850-8906, Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. To apply online as a blood drive volunteer, visit https://www.nybc.org/support-us/volunteer-nybc/volunteer-application/
• “Creativity Unleashed” is a weekly online group; participants explore art as an outlet for expression and a means to enhance positive mood and emotions. No art skills required. Meets at 2 p.m. on Sunday online or by call-in. Use this link zoom./us/join and meeting ID 933 5544 9291. Call-in option is 929-205-6099. Offered by the Mental Health Association in New Jersey – Ocean County. Details: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Items for the Datebook may be sent to email@example.com. Please submit items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.