• The Monmouth County Retired Educators Association will meet at 11 a.m. Oct. 12 at Jumping Brook Golf Club, Neptune. The guest speaker will be Mary Beth Beichert from
NJEA Government Relations. At 10:30 a.m., PAC-endorsed candidates will be available for members to meet and voice their concerns. Members are encouraged to bring a non-perishable donation for the food bank. For luncheon reservations, contact Sue at 732-995-7754 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Checks payable to MCREA for $34 may be mailed to Sue Shrott, 162 Harbor Circle Drive, Freehold, NJ 07728, received before Oct. 1. Check the association’s Facebook page or website, monmouthcrea.org, for updates. New
members are always welcome.
• Friends of the Old Yellow Meeting House will hold their annual meeting at 2 p.m. Sept 26 at the meeting house, 72 Yellow Meeting House Road, Upper Freehold Township. The Old Yellow Meeting House Cemetery Association will hold its annual meeting at 2:30 p.m. Sept. 26, following the annual meeting of the Friends of the Old Yellow Meeting House. Details: Email email@example.com
• The Monmouth County Park System will present “Peter and the Starcatcher” at the Thompson Park Theater Barn, Lincroft. A prequel to “Peter Pan,” the show tells the story of how the boy who wouldn’t grow up came to Neverland with heart, humor and music. The schedule is as follows: Sept. 16, 7-9:30 p.m.; Sept. 17, 7-9:30 p.m.; and Sept. 18, 2-4:30 p.m. Open to ages 10 and up, under 18 with adult. The cost is $15 per person per show; pre-registration is required. To register, visit www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or call 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present a mill demonstration, Sept. 18, 19, 25 and 26 from 1-4 p.m. at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township. See the 19th century gristmill in action. Free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present a Fall Plant Swap on Sept. 18. Plant intake from 8:30-10 a.m. Plant selection from 10-11:30 a.m. Tatum Park, Middletown, use Red Hill Road entrance. Bring perennials in one-quart, one-gallon or two-gallon containers (maximum of 15 plants) and take home the same size and number of plants. Label all plants. Houseplants may also be exchanged, but no annuals. Free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present From Fleece to Skein on Sept. 19 from 10 a.m. to noon at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township. Watch as staff spins fleece into yarn using centuries-old techniques. Free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host its annual cornbread contest on Sept. 19 from 12:30-3 p.m. at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township. Bring your favorite homemade cornbread in a 9 x 13 pan and a typed copy of the recipe between 12:30-1 p.m. Peer tasting and voting will take place from 1:30-2:30 p.m. Ribbons will be awarded at 3 p.m. by a panel of judges and a popular vote. All ages are welcome. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The 2021 Discussion Series will continue with “Self-Care – Filling Up Your Cup – Building Your Emotional Toolbox,” presented by Diane Lang, therapist, educator and life coach. The series is sponsored by Kathy Lo Bue, managing director, Glen Eagle Advisors, LLC. The discussion will take place as a Zoom webinar at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 28. The series is free, non-sectarian and open to the community. Call 732-866-6660 for the registration link.
• Allentown High School classes of 1980 and 1981 will hold a combined 40th reunion on Oct. 23 from 5-11 p.m. at the New Egypt Elks Club. Organizers of the reunion are looking to connect with fellow classmates who would be interested in attending. Details: Todd Schmitt at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Dove Hospice Services of New Jersey is seeking compassionate volunteers to provide
support to local hospice patients and their families. Hospice patient care volunteers visit with patients in their home, which can also be nursing facilities or assisted living facilities, at least once a week. Visits can be virtual and are during the day or early evening. Volunteers may also assist with administrative work in the hospice office. To sign up for a virtual training class, contact Deborah Adams at 732-405-3035 or email Deborah@dovehs.com
• The Allentown Village Initiative (TAVI) invites area residents to join a special effort to patronize local businesses. Register at www.allentownvinj.org to receive a weekly email highlighting Allentown’s shops and restaurants. The email will showcase unique products, services and specials offered by entrepreneurs throughout Allentown and Upper Freehold Township. There is no charge to participate. To register and for more information, visit www.allentownvinj.org
• CentraState Medical Center has launched a new online grief support group led by licensed clinical social workers certified in grief counseling to assist individuals who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The group is open for adult members of the community who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The private groups provide a safe, non-judgmental space for participants to share their emotions and struggles. The group meets via Zoom on the first and third Thursdays of each month at 3 p.m. To register, call 732-303-5170 or email Ametzger@Centrastate.com or Ssouza@Centrastate.com
• Samaritan Center, a joint ministry of St. Thomas More and Old Tennent Presbyterian churches, operates a food pantry to provide supplementary food for those in need in Manalapan, Marlboro, Englishtown and Millstone Township. For information, call 732-446-1142 and make an appointment. Donations of funds and food are gratefully accepted to support the operation of the center. Volunteers are always welcome.
• Embroiderers’ Guild of America – Monmouth Chapter is dedicated to teaching and sharing the joys of needlework. The organization welcomes stitchers of all levels. Evening stitchers will meet via Zoom on the first Monday of each month at 7 p.m. Day stitchers will meet via Zoom on the third Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. Details: Toni, 732-462-5540, or visit website:www.mcega.org
Items for the Datebook may be sent to email@example.com. Please submit items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.