Seventeen percent of Mercer County families will be facing eviction once the moratorium is lifted, presumably on Jan. 1, 2022, according to information provided by HomeFront in Lawrence Township.
HomeFront will recognize National Hunger & Homelessness Week for the fifth year from Nov. 13-20.
The Mercer County nonprofit, active in the community since 1991, provides primarily families with children who are living in the shadow of homelessness emergency and permanent housing, homelessness prevention funds, and an array of wraparound services, according to the organization.
The non-profit also provides each family with a vision of a different future and the tools to help them achieve it.
HomeFront’s National Hunger & Homelessness Week events will include:
· Nov. 13 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Open house at HomeFront’s SewingSpace and tours of the nonprofit’s headquarters, including its donation center, Fran’s Food Pantry, SewingSpace, the case management offices, etc.
· Nov. 15 from noon to 1 p.m. Virtual “Welcome to HomeFront” orientation.
· Nov. 17 from 1-3 p.m. HomeFront’s Diaper Resource Center Volunteer Opportunity.
· Nov. 18 at 6 p.m. Attend an expert panel discussion on the long-lasting effects the pandemic has had on vulnerable populations and what local and national agencies are doing to lessen the impact. Confirmed speakers include Emily Gartenberg from No Kid Hungry NYC, Shellie Skinner from NJ Pandemic Relief Fund, Olivia Jin from the Eviction Lab at Princeton University, and Sarah Steward from HomeFront.
· Nov. 19 from noon to 1:30 p.m. Virtual Lunch & Learn with HomeFront’s Chief Executive Officer Connie Mercer and Chief Operating Officer Sarah Steward. They will discuss the nonprofit’s work this past year to meet the increased need in the community among families impacted by the pandemic and HomeFront’s, ways community members can get involved, and HomeFront’s plans for the future.
· Nov. 20 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thanksgiving Drive Service Opportunity. Help pack Thanksgiving dinner baskets at HomeFront which will be distributed to the nonprofit’s client families.
To learn more and register, visit www.homefrontnj.org.