• Millstone Township Recreation will present its annual holiday lighting event from 4-6 p.m. Dec. 11 at Millstone Park, 4 Red Valley Road. All community members are invited to celebrate the holiday season. There will be baked goods and refreshments and holiday crafts, and Santa Claus will be available for photos. The tree lighting will take place outside. Millstone Township Recreation is conducting its annual toy drive for Toys for Tots. New unwrapped toys may be dropped off through Dec. 13 at the Millstone Township municipal building, 470 Stagecoach Road, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host 19th century Christmas ballads on Dec. 4 and Dec. 11 from 1-3:30 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. Enjoy 19th century Christmas ballads played on the piano. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host a cookstove demonstration on Dec. 11 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. See what’s cooking on the woodstove and discover how recipes, cooking techniques and kitchens have changed since the 1890s. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host Edible History Series: Coffee Cake on Dec. 11 from 2-3 p.m. at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township. Drop in for a cup of coffee and a piece of coffee cake made from a 19th century recipe. Learn about the history and evolution of America’s favorite “pick-me-up” and the tasty crumb-topped treat that accompanies it. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present The Sounds of Christmas on Dec. 12 from 1-3 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. Celebrate the holidays by listening to Larry Moser and Mary Nagin play Christmas carols on the hammered dulcimer and fiddle. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Stockings Hung with Care on Dec. 19 from 1-3 p.m. at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township.
Decorate and “sew” your own paper stocking to take home. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• A Zoom program, “Hollywood Yiddishkeit: Jewish Images in American Film” with historian John Kenrick, will be presented by the Jewish Heritage Museum of Monmouth County at 2 p.m. Dec. 5. Admission: $12 for museum members and $15 for non-members. To RVSP, call the museum at 732-252-6990, email email@example.com, or visit www.jhmomc.org
• Kathy Lo Bue, managing director, Glen Eagle Advisors, and host/sponsor of the Discussion Series (free educational community programming), is inviting community members to join her on Zoom to welcome the holiday season and to celebrate six years of presentations. The program includes inspirational messages, prizes, fun and a thank you toast to the series’ loyal supporters. The Zoom event will take place at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 14. Call 732-866-6660 for a Zoom meeting link.
• The Monmouth County Retired Educators Association will hold its holiday meeting and luncheon on Dec. 14 at Knob Hill Country Club, 1 Shinnecock Drive, Manalapan, at 11 a.m. Members are encouraged to bring a non-perishable donation for the food bank. The association is also collecting unwrapped children’s toys, books or gift cards for Bridges At The Shore. For luncheon reservations, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 732 995-7754. Reservations must be received before Dec. 3. New members are welcome. Check the association’s website or Facebook page for additional information.
• Donovan Delivers is a Robbinsville-based charity which offers financial assistance to families who have lost a child at birth. Although Donovan Delivers was unable to hold its annual charity event due to the pandemic this year, it has paired up with Bruno’s One Sweet Ride, 19 N. Main St. Allentown. The shop will allow customers to make a donation to the charity when making a purchase in person or online by indicating DD on the fundraiser code when checking out. Bruno’s has a selection of chocolate items especially for the holidays and is known for its hot chocolate bombs. The fundraiser will run until Dec. 31. Details: www.donovandelivers.com or https://brunosonesweetride.com
• The New Egypt Elks Lodge will host Breakfast with Santa on Dec. 19, two seatings: 8:30-10 a.m. or 10-11:30 a.m. Each child will receive a gift from Santa. Pre-sale tickets only; limited seating. Menu includes (subject to change): pancake station, toppings, French toast, scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon and pork roll, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, orange juice and more. Cost: Adults (13-59), $12; Seniors (60 and over), $11; Child (4-12), $8; Children 3 and under, free. To reserve: https://form.jotform.com/neelks2457/breakfast-with-santa. Paper tickets will not be issued. Reservations are non-refundable unless they can be re-sold before the event. Any reservation not paid by Dec. 9 will be cancelled to allow for others to purchase. Payment can be made via Zelle at email@example.com or Venmo Mike Walsh at 732-600-8442. Credit, debit, check or cash accepted at the lodge.
• The Allentown Village Initiative (TAVI) invites area residents to join a special effort to patronize local businesses. Register at www.allentownvinj.org to receive a weekly email highlighting Allentown’s shops and restaurants. The email will showcase unique products, services and specials offered by entrepreneurs throughout Allentown and Upper Freehold Township. There is no charge to participate. To register and for more information, visit www.allentownvinj.org
• CentraState Medical Center has launched a new online grief support group led by licensed clinical social workers certified in grief counseling to assist individuals who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The group is open for adult members of the community who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The private groups provide a safe, non-judgmental space for participants to share their emotions and struggles. The group meets via Zoom on the first and third Thursdays of each month at 3 p.m. To register, call 732-303-5170 or email Ametzger@Centrastate.com or Ssouza@Centrastate.com
• Samaritan Center, a joint ministry of St. Thomas More and Old Tennent Presbyterian churches, operates a food pantry to provide supplementary food for those in need in Manalapan, Marlboro, Englishtown and Millstone Township. For information, call 732-446-1142 and make an appointment. Donations of funds and food are gratefully accepted to support the operation of the center. Volunteers are always welcome.
• Embroiderers’ Guild of America – Monmouth Chapter is dedicated to teaching and sharing the joys of needlework. The organization welcomes stitchers of all levels. Evening stitchers will meet via Zoom on the first Monday of each month at 7 p.m. Day stitchers will meet via Zoom on the third Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. Details: Toni, 732-462-5540, or visit website:www.mcega.org
Items for the Datebook may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.