• The Monmouth County Park System will host a Yarn Bee on Jan. 8 from noon to 2:30 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. All are welcome to attend and work on their own project. Knit or crochet at your own pace; farm staff will be on hand to assist those who need a little extra help. Bring your own supplies. Open to ages 10 and up; under 18 with adult. The cost is $5 per person; cash or check only. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host Cutting, Splitting and Hewing on Jan. 9 from noon to 2:30 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. Get warmed up using a two-man saw and splitting wedge; learn how farmers used a froe to rive shingles or a broad ax to hew beams. Open to adults. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host a Wondrous Winter Walk on Jan. 19 from 10-11:30 a.m. at Thompson Park, Lincroft, meet in the Old Orchard parking lot, and on Jan. 26 from 10-11:30 a.m. at Hartshorne Woods Park, meet in the Rocky Point parking lot in Highlands. Join a park system naturalist and explore nature in the wintertime. Open to all ages; under 18 with adult. Sturdy footwear recommended, trails used may have inclines or tree roots to step over. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host a Nature Lecture Series: Chickadees of Monmouth County on Jan. 20 from 7-8 p.m. at the Freneau Woods Park Activity Center, Aberdeen Township. Come to this talk by a park system naturalist and learn about these birds, how to identify them and how to attract them to a bird feeder. Free. Details; 732-842-4000.
• New Jersey Blood Services, a division of New York Blood Center, is conducting blood drives on the following dates: Jan. 13, Lincroft Fire Company, 601 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, noon to 6 p.m.; Jan. 24, North Centerville Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1, 372 Middle Road, Hazlet, 1-7 p.m.; Jan. 25, Lincroft Bible Church, 790 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, 1-7 p.m.; Jan. 28, St. Dorothea Church, 240 Broad St., Eatontown, 12:30-6:30 p.m. To donate blood, call 1-800-933-2566 or visit www.nybloodcenter.org
• The Monmouth County Park System is seeking entries for its “The Silence of Winter” exhibit. The exhibit, to be held from Feb. 4 through March 26 at the Gallery in the Thompson Park Creative Arts Center, Lincroft, will feature works inspired by the serenity and stillness of winter. This theme is open to any work that captures the energy of the season, whether through color use, aesthetic choice, or subject matter. Non-traditional and traditional renderings of winter are welcome. Entry deadline is Jan. 14. An entry form is available on The Gallery at Thompson Park page at www.MonmouthCountyParks.com
• The Township Committee in Hazlet will hold its 2022 reorganization meeting at 1 p.m. Jan. 1 at the municipal building, 1766 Union Ave., Hazlet. The winners of the 2021 municipal election will be sworn in to office and appointments of municipal professionals and members of municipal boards and commissions will be made during the reorganization meeting. The Township Committee will hold a regular meeting at 8 p.m. Jan. 18 at the municipal building. Both meetings are open to the public.
• The Aberdeen Township Department of Recreation has announced the following programs: At the end of December, the Children’s Winter Break Day Camp will take place from Dec. 27-30. The programming is open to children ages 6-12 and will be held at the Fiorendo Sigismondi Community Center, Prospect Avenue, Cliffwood Beach; February features an ice cream social on Feb. 6 at the Sigismondi Community Center. Stay in pajamas and bring the family to create an ice cream and waffle sundae. There will be a movie screening and an activity for children starting at 9 a.m.; there will be a Mother-Son Carnival Dance on Feb. 17 at the Sigismondi Community Center. Sons are invited to bring their mom or any adult female guest to dress up and dance the night away. To register or to view the entire winter program lineup, visit https://parksrec.egov.basgov.com/aberdeen
• The American Red Cross will host the following blood drives in Monmouth County: Lincroft, Dec. 28, noon to 5 p.m., Lincroft Presbyterian Church, 270 Everett Road; Tinton Falls, Dec. 27, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Red Cross of Central New Jersey, 1540 W. Park Ave. Donors are asked to schedule an appointment by using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767). There is no blood donation waiting period for those who have received a flu shot or a Moderna, Pfizer or Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine or booster, so long as they are symptom-free.
• New Jersey Blood Services, a division of New York Blood Center, is conducting blood drives which are open to the public. The following drives are scheduled: Dec. 23, Congregation B’nai Israel, 171 Ridge Road, Rumson, 12:30-6:30 p.m.; Dec. 27, North Centerville Volunteer Fire Co. No. 1, 372 Middle Road, Hazlet, 1-7 p.m.; Dec. 28, Most Holy Redeemer Roman Catholic Church, 133 Amboy Road, Matawan, 1-7 p.m.; Dec. 30, Lincroft Bible Church, 790 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, 1-7 p.m. To donate blood or for information about how to organize a blood drive, call 1-800-933-2566 or visit www.nybloodcenter.org
• The Monmouth County Park System will present a Clear the House Stroll on Dec. 24 at 10 a.m. at Deep Cut Gardens, Middletown. Clear the house by sending family and guests on a stroll with a park system guide. This stroll takes place on even paths and at a slow pace. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Nature on the Move: Winter Days on Dec. 29 at 3 p.m. at Holmdel Park, Holmdel, meet in the shelter building parking area.
Look for the park system’s colorful Nature on the Move van and join a park system naturalist for a 45- to 60-minute hands-on interactive program. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• New Jersey Blood Services, a division of New York Blood Center, is conducting blood drives which are open to the public. The following drives are scheduled: Dec. 9, Most Holy Redeemer, 133 Amboy Road, Matawan, 1-7 p.m. To donate blood or for information about how to organize a blood drive, call 1-800-933-2566 or visit www.nybloodcenter.org
• Embroiderers’ Guild of America – Monmouth Chapter is dedicated to teaching and sharing the joys of needlework. The organization welcomes stitchers of all levels. Evening stitchers will meet via Zoom on the first Monday of each month at 7 p.m. Day stitchers will meet via Zoom on the third Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. Details: Toni, 732-462-5540, or visit website:www.mcega.org
Items for the Datebook may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.