Area airports receive grants for improvement projects

0
750

The Princeton Airport will once again provide an opportunity for attendees to take flight and explore the skies at this year's annual FunFest in Montgomery.

The New Jersey Department of Transportation (DOT) announced the award of 11 Airport Improvement Program grants totaling more than $8.5 million in state funds to support airport safety and improvement projects.

Area projects include:

Trenton-Mercer Airport in Ewing Township, Mercer County – construct Taxiway D lighting for $1 million: grant amount $900,000, sponsor share $100,00.

Trenton Robbinsville Airport in Robbinsville, Mercer County – airport runway crack repair, design, construction during Phase I for $714,433.30: grant amount $642,989.97, sponsor share $71,443.33.

Somerset Airport in Bedminster, Somerset County – obstruction removal during Phase II for $386,949.10: grant amount $348,254.19, sponsor share $38,694.91

Central Jersey Regional Airport in Hillsborough, Somerset County – runway rehabilitation and airport lighting improvements for $768,739.46: grant amount $691,865.51, sponsor share $76,873.95

Princeton Airport in Montgomery, Somerset County – west tie-down area airport expansion for $671,810.09: grant amount $604,629.08, sponsor share $67,181.01

“General aviation airports not only provide transportation for residents, businesses, and visitors, but also serve as key economic engines for local communities,” DOT Commissioner Diane Gutierrez-Scaccetti said in a statement released Feb. 14. “These grants will improve our public-use airports, so all facets of New Jersey’s multi-modal transportation system are modern and safe.”

Grants are awarded through a competitive process. Projects receiving funds this year include runway rehabilitation, taxiway construction, lighting improvements, obstruction removal, and safety improvements at 11 airports in 8 counties throughout the state.

The grants will be funded solely through NJDOT’s Transportation Trust Fund and Airport Safety Fund, with the state providing 90% of the eligible cost and the remaining 10% covered by the airport owner, according to the statement. By leveraging $8.5 million in state funding, along with the $900,000 in airport contributions, more than $9.4 million worth of work will be done.