• The Friends of the Old Yellow Meeting House will hold their annual meeting and a special presentation, Tom Robbins, “A Mystery in the Woods” – Ye Olde Robbins Burial Ground, at 2 p.m. Sept. 25 at the Meeting House, 70 Yellow Meeting House Road, Upper Freehold Township. The annual meeting of the Old Yellow Meeting House Cemetery Association will follow the annual meeting of the Friends. Details: www.oymh.org
• The U.S. Army Field Band’s Jazz Ambassadors will perform a free concert on Sept. 17 at 3 p.m. behind the Allentown United Methodist Church, 23 Church St., Allentown. In case of rain, the concert will be held in the Allentown High School auditorium, 27 High St. The band is coming to Allentown at the invitation of The Allentown Village Initiative through its “Allentown Arts” program, a series of performances and exhibits designed to highlight the artistry of Allentown and Upper Freehold Township in the historic setting of the village of Allentown. The 19-piece Jazz Ambassadors orchestra has performed in all 50 states and around the globe. Attendees should bring a chair to the performance. Visit www.allentownvinj.org for news and information about TAVI’s ongoing community service programs.
• The Jewish Heritage Museum of Monmouth County, Freehold Township, will welcome rabbi-turned-cabaret singer Deborah Zecher in a cabaret style musical in-person and Zoom event on Sept. 18 at 4 p.m. Admission is $15 for museum members and $20 for non-members. Zecher describes herself as “a rabbi who sings the Great American songbook and more.” Make reservations by visiting www.jhmomc.org, or by calling 732-252-6990.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host Mill Demonstrations on Sept. 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18, 24 and 25 at 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township. See the 19th century grist mill in action. Each demonstration lasts about 15 minutes. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host Bonsai Day on Sept. 11 from noon to 4 p.m. at Deep Cut Gardens, Middletown. Experience this intricate and ancient art through demonstrations and displays, with experts on hand to answer questions. Presented by the Monmouth County Park System and the Deep Cut Bonsai Society. Admission and parking are free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host Nature on the Move – Autumn Days on Sept. 11 at 3 p.m. at the Clayton Park Activity Center, Upper Freehold Township. Look for the colorful Nature on the Move van and join a naturalist for a 30- to 45-minute hands-on interactive program. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host a Fall Plant Swap on Sept. 17. Plant intake from 8:30-10 a.m. Plant selection starts at 10 a.m. The event will be held at Tatum Park, Middletown – use the Red Hill Road entrance. Bring perennials in 1-quart, 1-gallon or 2-gallon containers and take home the same size and number of plants. Label all plants. Houseplants may also be exchanged, but no annuals. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host the Wind and Sea Festival on Sept. 17 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Bayshore Waterfront Park, Middletown. Celebrate all things water-related such as kayaking, fishing, kite flying, sandcastle building and more during a family friendly festival. Admission and parking are free. Some activities may have a fee. Parking at the Belford Ferry Terminal. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host its annual cornbread contest on Sept. 18 from 12:30-3 p.m. at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township. Bring your favorite homemade cornbread in a 9 x 13 pan and a typed copy of the recipe between 12:30-1 p.m. Peer tasting and voting will take place from 1:30-2:30 p.m. and ribbons will be awarded at 3 p.m. by a panel of judges and a popular vote. All ages are welcome. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host Concert in the Park: A Night of Jazz and Blues on Sept. 30 from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Thompson Park Theater Barn, Lincroft
The roots of blues and jazz music run deep at the Jersey Shore. Listen to talent from the area. Bring chairs or blankets, food and soft drinks. The concert will be held outdoors, but will move indoors if the weather is inclement. All ages welcome; under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Women of Color discussion group is an online meeting held once a month (third Tuesday at 5:30 pm) to discuss issues, coping strategies and resources relevant to women of color. Offered by the Mental Health Association in New Jersey. Upcoming meeting dates are Sept. 20, Oct. 18, Nov. 22 and Dec. 20. Email email@example.com to receive a link.
• “A Gathering of Womyn of Color” is an online group that meets once a month for all LGBTQ womyn of color in the Black, Indigenous, People of Color community. The group is an open discussion of multiple topics. The group meets on the first Thursday of the month at 6 p.m. Upcoming dates are Sept. 1, Oct. 6, Nov. 3 and Dec. 1. Offered by the Mental Health Association in New Jersey, the agency’s PEWS program and the Emotional Support for Families of Color Initiative. To receive a link, email firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Monmouth County Park System will present the “Thrive” exhibit at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township. The interdisciplinary art exhibit explores the cyclical nature of the world around us. Exhibit runs through July 7, 2023 and is open daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission and parking are free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• A farmers market will be held every Friday from July through October, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Monmouth County Hall of Records plaza, Main Street, Freehold Borough.
• The Monmouth County Library offers six classes available at any time and without any advance registration on virtual Yoga, highlighting breathing, movement, stretching and other activities. Each program is offered at https://ly/MonCoLibraryYoga. The programs are offered by Steven Russell of Becoming Sound. Interested individuals may choose their own path with movements from six of the most popular library video class series. Sessions are Yoga Breathing; Yoga Stretching; Yoga Movement; Yoga Stretching with Support; Yoga at Home on the Floor; and Yoga at Home Standing. Individuals should consult a physician before starting any exercise program.
• The Allentown Village Initiative (TAVI) invites area residents to join a special effort to patronize local businesses. Register at www.allentownvinj.org to receive a weekly email highlighting Allentown’s shops and restaurants. The email will showcase unique products, services and specials offered by entrepreneurs throughout Allentown and Upper Freehold Township. There is no charge to participate. To register and for more information, visit www.allentownvinj.org
• Samaritan Center operates a food pantry to provide supplementary food for those in need in Manalapan, Marlboro, Morganville, Englishtown and Millstone Township. For information, call 732-446-1142 and make an appointment. Donations of funds and food are gratefully accepted to support the operation of the center.
Items for the Datebook may be sent to email@example.com. Please submit items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.