• The Jewish Heritage Museum of Monmouth County, Freehold Township, will welcome rabbi-turned-cabaret singer Deborah Zecher in a cabaret style musical in-person and Zoom event on Sept. 18 at 4 p.m. Admission is $15 for museum members and $20 for non-members. Zecher describes herself as “a rabbi who sings the Great American songbook and more.” Make reservations by visiting www.jhmomc.org, or by calling 732-252-6990.
• Crisis hotline volunteers needed for CONTACT of Ocean and Monmouth Counties’ training beginning Sept. 20, twice a week every Tuesday and Thursday for six weeks from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Training (which is free) will be held at St. Luke’s Roman Catholic Church, 1674 Old Freehold Road, Toms River. CONTACT is a 24-hour crisis intervention hotline that also provides information and referral to community resources. All calls are free, confidential and anonymous. Call 732-240-6104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information and registration.
• New Jersey Blood Services, a division of New York Blood Center, is conducting blood drives which are open to the public. The following drives are scheduled: Sept. 1, Howell Donor Center, 4068 Route 9, Howell, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Sept. 6, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Sept. 7, Howell Donor Center, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.; Sept. 8, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Sept. 13, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Sept. 14, Howell Donor Center, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.; Sept. 15, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Sept. 20, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Sept. 21, Howell Donor Center, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m., Sept. 22, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Sept. 27, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m.; Sept. 28, Howell Donor Center, 7:45 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.; Sept. 29, Howell Donor Center, 1:30-8:30 p.m. To donate blood or for information about how to organize a blood drive, call 1-800-933-2566 or visit www.nybloodcenter.org
• The Monmouth County Park System will host the Casual Birder on Sept. 13 at 9 a.m.
at the Manasquan Reservoir Visitor Center, Howell. Join a naturalist for a morning bird walk (approximately 90 minutes). No need to be an expert at identifying birds to enjoy. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host Bonsai Day on Sept. 11 from noon to 4 p.m. at Deep Cut Gardens, Middletown. Experience this intricate and ancient art through demonstrations and displays, with experts on hand to answer questions. Presented by the Monmouth County Park System and the Deep Cut Bonsai Society. Admission and parking are free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host a Fall Plant Swap on Sept. 17. Plant intake from 8:30-10 a.m. Plant selection starts at 10 a.m. The event will be held at Tatum Park, Middletown – use the Red Hill Road entrance. Bring perennials in 1-quart, 1-gallon or 2-gallon containers and take home the same size and number of plants. Label all plants. Houseplants may also be exchanged, but no annuals. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host the Wind and Sea Festival on Sept. 17 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Bayshore Waterfront Park, Middletown. Celebrate all things water-related such as kayaking, fishing, kite flying, sandcastle building and more during a family friendly festival. Admission and parking are free. Some activities may have a fee. Parking at the Belford Ferry Terminal. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host a Harvest Home Festival on Sept. 25 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Historic Longstreet Farm, Holmdel. This old-fashioned fair is reminiscent of the 1890s. Visitors can enjoy games, wagon rides and live entertainment. Admission and parking are free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will host Concert in the Park: A Night of Jazz and Blues on Sept. 30 from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Thompson Park Theater Barn, Lincroft
The roots of blues and jazz music run deep at the Jersey Shore. Listen to talent from the area. Bring chairs or blankets, food and soft drinks. The concert will be held outdoors, but will move indoors if the weather is inclement. All ages welcome; under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Free. Details: 732-842-4000.
• Women of Color discussion group is an online meeting held once a month (third Tuesday at 5:30 pm) to discuss issues, coping strategies and resources relevant to women of color. Offered by the Mental Health Association in New Jersey. Upcoming meeting dates are Sept. 20, Oct. 18, Nov. 22 and Dec. 20. Email email@example.com to receive a link.
• “A Gathering of Womyn of Color” is an online group that meets once a month for all LGBTQ womyn of color in the Black, Indigenous, People of Color community. The group is an open discussion of multiple topics. The group meets on the first Thursday of the month at 6 p.m. Upcoming dates are Sept. 1, Oct. 6, Nov. 3 and Dec. 1. Offered by the Mental Health Association in New Jersey, the agency’s PEWS program and the Emotional Support for Families of Color Initiative. To receive a link, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Items for the Datebook may be sent to email@example.com. Please submit items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.