The annual “Weekend in Old Monmouth” returns with 43 historic sites throughout Monmouth County, opening doors to visitors interested in local history on April 30 and May 1. The Weekend in Monmouth tour sites will be open from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. on April 30 and noon-5 p.m. on May 1, unless otherwise noted.
Five sites have been added to the 2016 Weekend in Old Monmouth tour:
· Allentown Presbyterian Church (c. 1837) in Allentown is surrounded by a historic cemetery, the final resting place of NJ Governor William A. Newell, founder of the U.S. Life Saving Service.
· Baird House (c. 1830) in Millstone Twp. was built and lived in by Thomas Baird who was one of the original founders and first vice-president of the Monmouth County Agricultural Society and was elected as a Monmouth County Chosen Freeholder.
· Montrose Schoolhouse (c. 1812) in Colts Neck is the last of the township’s six one-room schoolhouses and it retains its original architectural profile.
· Parker Homestead (c. 1740s) in Little Silver was home to eight generations of Joseph Parker’s descendants. Visitors can view a restoration in progress.
· St. Peter’s Church (c. 1770s) in Freehold Borough is the oldest public building in continuous use in the town and has ties to the Battle of Monmouth.
The self-guided tour has recommended routes that guide history buffs travel by foot, bicycle or car to the various locations. To preview the tour sites on the County’s website visit www.visitmonmouth.com.
The annual Weekend in Old Monmouth tour is coordinated by the Monmouth County Historical Commission (Historical Commission). The Historical Commission is dedicated to the preservation of the County’s rich historic heritage. As advocates for the preservation of historic properties, sites and projects, the Commission encourages citizens to be involved as well.
In mid-April, the 2016 detailed tour book and tour map will be available on the Monmouth County website at www.visitmonmouth.com. On the tour dates, each tour stop will also have maps and booklets available. For more information, email email@example.com.