Hillsborough Township was recently honored at the Annual RideWise recognition breakfast as one of only two municipalities in Somerset County to receive platinum status in the New Jersey Smart Workplace Program.
In 2013, the township received the silver award, then became the first Somerset County Municipality to achieve platinum and has since received platinum five years in a row.
At the 11th Annual Recognition Breakfast in December, county business and government leaders gathered to recognize programs implemented to improve commuters’ quality of life.
RideWise, a Transportation Management Association (TMA) based in Somerset County, connects people and businesses to safe and sustainable travel options that enhance the quality of life and create a vibrant community.
New Jersey Smart Workplaces is a statewide program that recognizes employers and municipalities who show vision and leadership by providing commuter benefits to employees.
Some of the initiatives Hillsborough implemented were:
– Host and support two park and rides
– Hillsborough Promenade
– Suburban Transit Line 200 Express Service to New York City
– Hillsborough Park & Ride
– Somerset County Shuttle System, SCOOT, SCOOT R1, SCOOT R2
– Leadership role on Ridewise Board of Directors
– Including alternative commuting information in new hire packets
– Encourage employee registration to traffic alerting sites and messaging systems
– Teleconferencing utilization
– Promote programs through the Township e-Newsletter
– Established a designated bike area for employees who wish to bike to work
– Provides access to basic bike maintenance tools
Employers are nominated at the platinum, gold, silver or bronze level according to the scope.
“This recognition further demonstrates our commitment to sustainability and improving the quality of life for employees who work within the Township,” said township mayor Gloria McCauley.
Under the New Jersey Smart Workplaces Program, official representatives may nominate their companies to participate in the program and learn about other employer services via ridewise.org.
The following Hillsborough based businesses and organizations were recognized:
Platinum Award: Duke Farms
Silver Award: Bridgeway Senior Healthcare
“The participation of these Hillsborough businesses and organizations shows their commitment to working towards improving commuter’s quality of life while being successful in their line of work,” said Hillsborough Committeeman Frank DelCore, liaison to the Hillsborough Environmental Commission. “They have taken the lead to inspire other businesses in the community to participate in the New Jersey Smart Workplaces program.”