Burlington County Prosecutor Scott Coffina announced on Oct. 31 that a Beverly City resident has been found guilty by a jury of killing a Florence resident in 2016.
The jury found Anthony M. Harris, 32, guilty of aggravated manslaughter (first degree), possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose (second degree) and unlawful possession of a weapon (second degree) in the fatal shooting of a man on a street in Florence two years ago, according to the prosecutor.
A fourth charge, certain persons not to have weapons (second degree), was dismissed by the state upon the jury’s verdict, according to a press release from the Burlington County Prosecutor Office.
According to an investigation, on the night of Sept. 21 , 2016, a group of people from Beverly City went to Florence and began fighting with local residents in the area of Zinc Street, an alley that runs between Second and Third streets.
The jury found Harris pulled a handgun, began shooting and struck Ronald Walker, 27, of Florence. Prosecutors said Walker was transported to Lourdes Medical Center of Burlington County, Willingboro, where he was pronounced dead.
According to an autopsy performed by Burlington County Medical Examiner Dr. Ian Hood, Walker died from a gunshot wounds to his chest.
The prosecutor said the trial was the second time Harris had been tried for Walker’s death after a mistrial was declared following a trial in June when a jury indicated it could not reach a unanimous verdict on a murder charge.
A grand jury returned a new indictment charging Harris with aggravated manslaughter and the weapons charges on Sept. 25. Judge Charles A. Delehey, who also presided over the second trial, will sentence Harris on Dec. 20, according to the press release.