• The Freehold Borough K-8 School District Board of Education will meet at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 13 at the Park Avenue Complex, 280 Park Ave. Freehold, and remotely. Action will take place at this meeting. The board will meet as a committee of the whole on Sept. 27 at
6 p.m. at the Park Avenue Complex, 280 Park Ave. Freehold. The purpose of the meeting as a committee of the whole will be to formulate and establish goals for the board for the 2021–22 school year. No action will take place during this portion of the meeting. The regular board agenda meeting will resume as scheduled and be open to the public at 7:30 p.m. on that date as previously advertised. Action will take place at that meeting.
• The 2021 Discussion Series will continue with “Self-Care – Filling Up Your Cup – Building Your Emotional Toolbox,” presented by Diane Lang, therapist, educator and life coach. The series is sponsored by Kathy Lo Bue, managing director, Glen Eagle Advisors, LLC. The discussion will take place as a Zoom webinar at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 28. The series is free, non-sectarian and open to the community. Call 732-866-6660 for the registration link.
• The Manalapan-Englishtown Regional School District Board of Education will hold the following meetings: Sept. 14, 7:30 p.m., Committee of the Whole meeting, Pine Brook School, 155 Pease Road, Manalapan; and Sept. 21, 7:30 p.m., regular action meeting, Pine Brook School, 155 Pease Road, Manalapan. Meetings are open to the public.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present a mill demonstration on Aug. 28-29 from 1-4 p.m. at Historic Walnford, Walnford Road, Upper Freehold Township. See the 19th century gristmill in action. The is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present boat tours of the Manasquan Reservoir, Howell. Each 45-minute tour is narrated by a park system naturalist and includes opportunities to view local wildlife. The cost is $6 per adult and $4 per child, age 12 and under. Call to confirm schedule as tours are weather dependent and water level dependent. All boat tours leave from the Visitor Center. Life jackets are supplied. Tickets can be purchased on day of tour only. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Historic Battery Lewis tours, Aug. 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Aug. 29 from 1-3 p.m. at Hartshorne Woods Park, Highlands (Rocky Point section). Tour the restored Historic Battery Lewis and learn about the history of this important former coastal defense site. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present Fishing 101 – A Beginner’s Guide to Fishing, Aug. 31 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Manasquan Reservoir, Howell, meet at the Visitor Center Bait Shop. Learn how to rig, bait, cast, and, hopefully, catch a fish. Come and go at any time. Bait and tackle provided. Open to all ages; under 14 with adult. Fishing license required for ages 16 to 69. No groups please. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• The Monmouth County Park System will present the Casual Birder, Aug. 31 at 9 a.m. at the Dorbrook Recreation Area, Route 537, Colts Neck, meet in the soccer field parking lot. Join a park system naturalist for a laid-back morning bird walk and meander through the park for about 90 minutes. Open to ages 11 and up; under 18 with adult. This is a free event. Details: www.MonmouthCountyParks.com or 732-842-4000.
• Dove Hospice Services of New Jersey is seeking compassionate volunteers to provide
support to local hospice patients and their families. Hospice patient care volunteers visit with patients in their home, which can also be nursing facilities or assisted living facilities, at least once a week. Visits can be virtual and are during the day or early evening. Volunteers may also assist with administrative work in the hospice office. To sign up for a virtual training class, contact Deborah Adams at 732-405-3035 or email Deborah@dovehs.com
• Embroiderers’ Guild of America – Monmouth Chapter is dedicated to teaching and sharing the joys of needlework. The organization welcomes stitchers of all levels. Evening stitchers will meet via Zoom on the first Monday of each month at 7 p.m. Day stitchers will meet via Zoom on the third Thursday of each month at 10 a.m. Details: Toni, 732-462-5540, or visit website:www.mcega.org
• CentraState Medical Center has launched a new online grief support group led by licensed clinical social workers certified in grief counseling to assist individuals who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The group is open for adult members of the community who have experienced the loss of a loved one. The private groups provide a safe, non-judgmental space for participants to share their emotions and struggles. The group meets via Zoom on the first and third Thursdays of each month at 3 p.m. To register, call 732-303-5170 or email Ametzger@Centrastate.com or Ssouza@Centrastate.com
• Samaritan Center, a joint ministry of St. Thomas More and Old Tennent Presbyterian churches, operates a food pantry to provide supplementary food for those in need in Manalapan, Marlboro, Englishtown and Millstone Township. For information, call 732-446-1142 and make an appointment. Donations of funds and food are gratefully accepted to support the operation of the center. Volunteers are always welcome.
• New Jersey Blood Services, which provides blood for local patients, is looking for volunteers. Blood drive volunteers assist donors with registration and/or at the refreshment area. No medical background necessary. Volunteers should be outgoing to provide friendly customer service and be able to perform tasks as needed. Must have transportation. All training is provided. For additional information, call or text Sharon Zetts at 732-850-8906, Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. To apply online as a blood drive volunteer, visit https://www.nybc.org/support-us/volunteer-nybc/volunteer-application/
Items for the Datebook may be sent to email@example.com. Please send items at least two weeks prior to a scheduled event.